Sunday 31 May 2020

false christs

 During the “Jesus revolution” of the 1960’s it was not unusual to hear a person claiming to be Jesus Christ. This has not been as common an occurrence in the recent past. So, where have they all gone? Why do we not often hear this claim, when Christ specifically warns of this deception in our day?

For there shall arise false christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Matthew 24:24

For false christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. Mark 13:22

Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in My name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. Matthew 24:4,5

And He said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in My name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them. Luke 21:8

For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted. 2 Corinthians 11:4

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist. 1 John 4:1-3

I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God. 3 John 1:9-11

In the early 80's a self-supporting ministry in the USA claimed that there were two christs in the church; a statement that sent shock waves through its members. The false christ was taught by the adherents of the “new theology”. “Nothing would be allowed to stand in the way of the new movement..they would place their dependence on human power, which, without God, is worthless.” SPTB 54. We are also told that this will continue until the close of time. And while nothing has been able to stand in the way of this movement, still we must ask, “Where are the false christs?” 

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me. And ye will not come to Me, that ye might have life. I receive not honour from men. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in My Father's name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only. John 5:39-44

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12

They insist on being saved in some way by which they may perform some important work. When they see that there is no way of weaving self into the work, they reject the salvation provided. DA 280 

After rejecting the offered salvation of Jesus they must find some other way to “be saved”. Beginning in childhood, anyone who finds “somebody else” (and there is no shortage of them) who they think that they are “better than”, have just formed a false christ.  So, there are now innumerable false christs within the church. These christs have set their own standard and judge everyone else by this standard, which is very different indeed to the righteousness and perfection of the real Christ. These false christs within them will give them everything that they need for the religious life of their “own devising.” They, “have need of nothing ...” Revelation 3:17. This is Baal worship; self worship, paganism! This began with Lucifer in the courts of heaven and history records the baleful continuance of this form of worship down through Eve, Cain, the children of Israel, at the time of the two Elijahs, and on into the Christian church; from Diotrephes until the present Laodicean age, where the third Elijah is now dealing with this very same problem.

The solution? “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of My mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me.” Revelation 3:15-20. 
“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20.