Wednesday 26 February 2020

The King Is In Love


Whether true or allegoric, and though falling short of perfection, this well known and beloved story illustrates one of eternal importance to each of us personally:

There once was a king who found himself with a problem. As he had travelled around his vast  kingdom he had seen a beautiful girl in one of the villages and had fallen in love with her. The only trouble was that she was the daughter of his bitterest enemy. He could order that she be brought to him by force and command her to marry him but he didn't want to do that. He wanted her to marry him because she loved him for who he was as a person, not because he was the king and had forced her to do so.

Finally, he decided on a plan. He would disguise himself as a common man, go and live in the girl's village and try to woo her heart. He know that his enemy had told terrible lies to the girl, and everyone else in the village, about the king, so he felt that the plan that he had come up with was his only chance.

So, he carried out his plan. He moved from his magnificent palace to a tiny, old cottage. He changed his splendid robes for the humble clothes of an ordinary man, and he began his life in the village under the guise of a carpenter. 

He arranged circumstances such that he was able to meet the girl, and slowly, over the next few months went about doing all the things that young men in love do to win the heart of their lady love. He gave her beautiful flowers from his own garden and showered her with gifts. He took her on picnics into the picturesque countryside. Slowly the young woman began to fall in love with the king, while still unaware of his true identity.

Eventually the time came for the king to "pop the big question”. He chose his moment carefully, then getting down on bended knee, he asked this girl of his dreams if she would consent to join her life to his forever by becoming his wife. However, before allowing her to answer he told her that he had some important news to share with her prior to making her decision. With well chosen words he revealed to her that he was in fact the king.

She was shocked and exclaimed that this could not possibly be true as he was not at all like what her father and many others in the village had told her the king was like. He took from his pocket the royal seal as proof of the truth of his claim. Then he tenderly took her by the hands, looked lovingly into her eyes and said, “My darling, you have a big decision to make. Do you listen to and believe the untruths that you have been told about me, or do you believe that I am the person that you have come to know and love from personal experience? I can't take you to the palace just yet. I have to go back and prepare it for you. You will then be able to join me, meet my Father, and all of my most trusted friends. In the meantime I will keep in regular contact with you by email and regular phone calls. While awaiting my return you will not need to doubt my continued love – you will receive many reminders that I am waiting longingly for us to be together forever. If your answer is yes, then I do need you to do something for me while I am away. Could you please inform the citizens of your village of what I am really like. Let them know what you have found out from getting to know me. It makes me sad when they believe their king to be like the lies that have been spread. I know that this is a momentous decision for you to make. I know that you will be estranged from your father and all of his friends, but please remember the love that you have experienced from me and please, say yes, that you will be my bride.”

The beautiful young woman looked at the earnest face in front of her. She could see the love in his expressive eyes. She took a deep breath and said, “... “

That's the end of the story for now. It is still being played out. Our King “is waiting with longing desire” to hear your answer to His marriage proposal.