Monday 20 April 2020

Little Branch

We have continually mentioned throughout the COVID-19 global pandemic that we still have not heard of anyone who is living by all of the counsel given to us by Christ, that has been affected in any way, by the illness or the economic aftermath. All of God’s promises are always conditional; here are the conditions:
If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. John 15:7

So, let us consider the whole picture - even if we think that we have been living by all of His words, are we really abiding? 
Is He abiding in our hearts?
I am the Vine, ye are the branches: he that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing. John 15:5

What is it really like to be a branch of the Vine?
The life of the branch is not only a life of entire dependence, but also of deep restfulness. That little branch, if it could think, feel, and speak, and if we could say: "Come, branch of the vine, I want to learn from you how I can be a true branch of the living Vine," what would it answer? The little branch would whisper: 
"Man, I hear that you are wise, and I know that you can do a great many wonderful things. I know you have much strength and wisdom given to you, but I have one lesson for you. With all your hurry and effort in Christ's work, you never prosper. The first thing you need is to come and rest in your Lord Jesus. That is what I do. Since I grew out of that vine, I have spent years and years, and all I have done is just to rest in the vine. When the time of spring came I had no anxious thought or care. The vine began to pour its sap into me, and to give the bud and leaf. And when summer came, I had no care; and in the great heat, I trusted the vine to bring moisture to keep me fresh. And in the time of harvest, when the owner came to pluck the grapes, I had no care. If there was anything in the grapes not good, the owner never blamed the branch; the blame was always on the vine. And if you would be a true branch of Christ, the living Vine, just rest on Him. Let Christ bear the responsibility.
A man sometimes tries and tries to be dependent on Christ, but he worries himself about this absolute dependence. He tries and he cannot get it. But let him sink down into entire restfulness every day. In Thy strong hand I lay me down. So shall the work be done; For who can work so wondrously as the Almighty One? Take your place every day at the feet of Jesus, in the blessed peace and rest that come from the knowledge, - I have no care, my cares are His! I have no fear, He cares for all my fears. Come, children of God, and understand that it is the Lord Jesus who wants to work through you. You complain of the lack of fervent love. It will come from Jesus. He will give the divine love in your heart with which you can love people. That is the meaning of the assurance: "The love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost" (Romans 5:5); and of that other word: "The love of Christ constraineth us…that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto Him which died for them, and rose again.” (2 Corinthians 5:14). Christ can give you a fountain of love so that you cannot help loving the most wretched and the most ungrateful, or those who have wearied you. Rest in Christ, who can give wisdom and strength.

He will impart to you all of His boundless resources moment by moment from now and throughout eternity.